> From: "Cor van de Water" <cwa...@proxim.com>
>
> Anybody looking for help brainstorming, developing or debugging EV or
> AV?

Need a nearly-free vacation on a beautiful island in SW BC? Interested in
WWOOFing†? :-)

Our not-for-profit co-op organic farm has almost all the parts needed to
convert a 1981 Vanagon to electric drive. Except an inspirational person to
help me focus on it. :-)

I’ve got and ADC 9” Transwarp. I’ve got 29 Saft 180 AH NiMH batteries. (A
string of 24, plus five spares.) I’ve got a Curtis controller and a pot box.
I’ve got various universal power supplies for the aux 12V supply. I’ve got a
bunch of bed frames for welding stock, and some #00 welding cable. Lacking a
6kw charger. (I can charge five of them at a time with a 40V 40A lab supply I
have.)

The plan is to sink the batteries into the floor, with the goal of no net loss
of cargo space. Three strings of seven should fit, plus three more batteries
under the rear seat. I plan to connect them with 3/4” copper pipe, plus a 1kA
fuse on each string.

I cut the clutch spline out of the clutch, and have a TH-400 yoke to weld it to
for the motor-tranny coupling.

This will then become our dedicated market vehicle. We can load it with
produce, unload at the Saturday and Tuesday markets about 10 km (6 miles) away,
plug in at the free charging station, and never buy fuel again.

I’ve got all these parts, but a “to do” list a mile long, and working on the
“Electranagon” always seems to slip below fixing the heated tables in the
greenhouse so plants don’t freeze, or feeding baby goats, or patching up our
irrigation system, or getting things in the ground before summer, or getting
harvest to market before winter… the list goes on, and on, and on.

I keep hoping for a WWOOFer† who knows a volt from an amp to help me out, but
most of them can barely tell an apple from a tomato.

Jan

† a “WWOOFer” is a “Willing Worker On Organic Farm.” It’s a network of people
who travel around, working on organic farms in exchange for food and lodging.