Hi Lee,

You were kind enough to talk with me bit a while back, and you were right
on. We wanted to build a testing lab using the Novonix equipment, but it
was clear the general population of Li ion users who might benefit from
actually knowing: neighborhood vehicles, scooters, eBikes and so on,
prefered to be ignorant of the actual quality and durability of the cells
they were buying. Likewise they had little understandind how their
controllers and charging systems worked, and how to do some QC on that
incoming material.

If you are a Medtronix, or a Tesla, where you have a big money need to get
it right then this testing looks like how you stay ahead of competition.
They can afford the $1M ticket to have inhouse testing, or make deals just
as those two mentioned did with Dalhousie.

And so 4 years down the line, still, few people understand how the cells
work, how they are manufactured well, what real quality looks like, what
the real life in an application might be.

Anyway, funding a lab and having it actually pay salaries looked near
impossible.

Mike

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 12:41 AM Lee Hart via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> Michael Ross via EV wrote:
> > Yeah, I wouldn't say prove either. But testing can be far better than the
> > old tried, and not very good cycling tests.
>
> It all depends on who is doing the testing, and why.
>
> If it's being done by marketing to promote sales, they're likely to pick
> a test procedure that gives the best results possible. Often, they won't
> specify the test procedure used, or leave out crucial information.
>
> If it's done by a customer, to evaluate how long it's likely to last in
> their product, they are more likely to strive for meaningful test results.
>
> If it's done by an independent researcher, look at who's paying for the
> testing.
> --
> Imagination is your preview of life's coming attractions.
>         (Albert Einstein)
> --
> Lee Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, www.sunrise-ev.com

Michael E. Ross