From: EV <ev-boun...@lists.evdl.org> on behalf of Lee Hart via EV
<ev@lists.evdl.org>
Sent: Friday, November 9, 2018 2:27 PM
To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List
Cc: Lee Hart
Subject: Re: [EVDL] NICAD Batteries

ROBERT via EV wrote:
> I do not understand your statement "Also, I learned not to put them
> in an aluminum box " The original boxes were made of aluminum.  In
> addition, I think all aircraft NiCad use aluminum boxes.

My experience is that the potassium hydroxide electolyte is highly
corrosive to aluminum. If it gets on the aluminum, it corrodes it.

Potassium hydroxide doesn't seem to bother steel, however. That is the
reverse of the effect of the sulfuric acid electrolyte in lead-acid
batteries.

> I am sending the batteries to Recyclers of America.  They pay for
> shipping. I am paying a $0.75 per pound recycling fee.  Not low cost
> for 1500 Lb of batteries.

It's too bad you couldn't find a good home that could put these
batteries back to work. But congratulations for doing the right thing on
recycling them!

--
Obsolete (Ob-so-LETE). Adjective. 1. Something that is simple,
reliable, straightforward, readily available, easy to use, and