From: "EVDL Administrator via EV" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
To: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
Cc: "EVDL Administrator" <evp...@drmm.net>
Sent: 10-Dec-18 9:17:11 AM
Subject: Re: [EVDL] EVLN: Musk walked-back on PV roof> its stupid

On 10 Dec 2018 at 9:22, Willie via EV wrote:

they will be a niche market and very unlikely to expand beyond the
niche category.

A niche of a niche, because even today EVs themselves are still a niche
item, and IMO will only become a true mass market product with continued strong promotion from activist governments. Keep your fingers crossed for
educated, forward-looking voters and legislators in Asia and Europe!

Pushing even further into that niche corner with onboard solar EVs (OBSEVs, if you like) may indeed waste valuable resources that we could be spending
to further promote EVs and stationary, offboard solar charging.

That said ...........

It's no secret here that I have my own personal concerns with Tesla's cars.
But think about it.  We're all at a place where I can say "I want a
commercial EV, but I don't want to buy a Tesla." We have EV CHOICE! Twenty
years ago, who would have expected it?

For that, we can give a great deal of credit to Musk and Tesla for showing drivers AND GOVERNMENTS what was possible with EVs. Good thing he didn't listen to the EV-naysayers 15 years ago, and give up commercializing the
original Roadster.

I'm skeptical that Stella and other similar OBSEV efforts are going to pay off in the mass (or even niche) market any time soon, if ever. I guess that makes me an OBSEV naysayer today. So, Stella team, don't listen to me and
the other cynics!  Go for it.  You won't know if you're the next Tesla
unless you try.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator