On 4 May 2019 at 18:54, brucedp5 via EV wrote:

> The base variant will have a 48kWh battery pack and a WLTP range rating of 330
> kilometres. This model will be priced from ¬29,900 ($47,170) in Germany.
> Government incentives in France will reduce the price to a more reasonable
> ¬23,900 ($37,400).

That price should make it quite competitive with the cheapo stripped Renault
Zoe, which is currently a big seller in Europe thanks to its relatively low
price (IIRC 23.2k Eur before incentive if you lease the battery, 17.2k Eur
after, and I think the battery costs something like 9k Eur more).

Renault has run some promos offering to lease the stripped Zoe and battery
for 190 Eur per month, though with some absurdly low yearly km allowance
like 7500km.

Of course you can't buy a Zoe here in the States, surprise surprise, but I
digress.  Now let's see if VW offer the ID here.

Funny though, the VW has a 20% bigger battery,  but 17.5% less WLTP range.
Zoe is rated 400km with a 40kW battery.  VW must have really messed
something up in their engineering (aerodynamics?  weight?).

Zoe is also not losing money; in fact Renault is making a small profit on
the car.  Renault thinks they'll do even better on the new version coming
out next year.  It'll be based on the new Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi common
EV platform, unless the Carlos Ghosn mess trashes the partnership -- or
Nissan does.

> profitability forecast to begin around 2025.

This isn't a big deal, though the anti-EV Koch crew often crows at it.  From
what I've read, it's not uncommon for newly launched ICEVs to show a loss
for the first few years too.  I seem to recall that it took Honda something
like 5 years before they made a profit on the Accord, but I might be
remembering that wrong.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator