It's going to be very interesting to hear your report about this van when you get it running. I can't imagine how they made it even close to streetable with no gear changes and reverse being changing the rotation of that motor! You can get away with that kind of stuff with a series motor.

Some random thoughts:

The torque band on that motor ends abruptly at 4,000 RPM. after that, it's basically impossible to gain any more speed, time to shift. The SCT manual says that the motor is safe to 8,000 RPM before it frags, but I can't see how you would ever get it to that speed without shifting into first at 90 MPH.

My car gets the same energy efficiency at 50 MPH in fourth that it does in third at 40 MPH. Of course, it draws more current, but it covers a mile in less time. I believe that the motor is more efficient at ~2,000 RPM than at 3,500. Given the increase in wind resistance, etc, this represents a significant discrepancy in efficiency. A 30 mile round-trip into town and back consumes identical quantities of energy, regardless of which gear I drive in.

After sitting for six years, my motor set up a howl like a cat tangled in a fan belt when I first got it running again. It still does this off and on, don't know if it's bearings or what. I mostly just turn the stereo up and try not to think about it. Sometimes it sounds exactly like a jet plane coming in for a landing! Good for getting the attention of pedestrians!!

On the SCT, there is a 3-3/4" hole cut in the conical shroud at the brush end of the motor, with a two-speed blower directing cooling air into the casing. Air exits through vents at the output shaft end. I don't know if there is an internal fan. During normal weather and driving, it runs warm to the touch.

The controller may still be functional, but after this many years, any electrolytic capacitors in it's circuitry are due for replacement. Might be a good idea to just shotgun them all and get it over with. Any ceramic potted power resistors should be checked for crumbling and decomposition, and replaced with modern components.

So, did your van come with the forks, or are you going to have to buy a new set?