I thought grid tied inverters shutdown the solar panels when no grid power is
detected.

    On Wednesday, August 14, 2019, 12:50:01 AM CDT, Cor van de Water via EV
<ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

 All grid tie central inverters (so, not the micro inverters) take input
voltage above 400V so they can direct switch the AC output without
transformers. Input is typically up to 1000V these days.
I plan on installing solar strings of at least 400V so that I can always charge
my EVs by direct wiring the panels to the battery, in case there is no grid and
I need energy in my EV.
I also have a large UPS that is intended to run with 2x 192V lead-acid
batteries (it is an older model double conversion UPS) so I am planning to
connect it to a Leaf pack with center tap so it can both charge the pack as
well as island like any UPS to feed any critical loads in the house. I need to
see if it has the power saving setting where it is not always double converting
(wasting power) and just keeps the battery charged, but feeds the incoming
power through until there is a power loss, then it instantly starts converting
battery power to output without even losing the output.
With such a setup, it would be possible to use solar in 2 ways: DC only to
directly charge the UPS batteries (but needs overcharge protection and waste
power as soon as batteries are full) or the usual string inverter generating AC
to feed back into the grid and independently run the UPS to keep the batteries
charged and generate uninterrupted power. Only drawback is that during an
outage, the solar inverter trips and does not generate power, but this should
happen only rarely.

Cor.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10