On my two solar prius and the Frankenvolt,(http://aprs.org/my-EVs.html)
about the most solar panels that will fit are about 240 watts.  Since the
volt is said to consume over 500 watts *just-being-on" the more interesting
question is where is all that going.  Are the CPUs all powered from the 12v
bus?  If so, then simply pushing the solar wattage into the 12v system
would seem to help.  But since the 12v system is maintained at 14v to keep
the 12v battery topped off, then there is no where for the current to go...

Unless the voltage rise from pushing in current will trigger the feedback
to reduce the 12v coming from the volt's DC/DC converter.

Would be nice to know.
bob