On 8/12/20 11:57 PM, George Mullineaux wrote:
Here at work, we have some evs for moving equipment and boom lifts. I was under
the impression that the slow charge after the 80% level was for deep charging.
We have two trolleys that have been charged in this manner for 6 years on the
same batteries. I wonder if maybe the fact that they are lead-acid makes their
charging properties different? I am not extensively trained with evs, just go
with what I have been told. I do love to learn.

Yes, lead acid batteries are very different. You can balance them by overcharging (when one cell is fully charged, it just starts to bubble, converting excess power to heat and (flamable) gasses....which is why you need to re-fill them every so often. This allows not-yet-fully charged cells to keep charging.

LiIon cells will be seriously damaged by overcharging, so you need a BMS to manage the charge level of individual cells.

Overcharging Lead Acid batteries is part of the process...but would destroy LiIon batteries, which degrade faster when left at a full charge.

Jay