On 8/16/20 11:24 PM, George Mullineaux via EV wrote:
But I never doubted the ability of an EV with 2,000+ pounds of torque towing.
It is the manufacturers that will not rate their vehicles with a comparable
towing weight. Let me go out on a limb and claim that the reason for this is
that towing will greatly impact range. As has been mentioned many times in
posts, that is the holy grail of EVs. If Tesla, Audi, Ford, Rivian, etc. would
give us the range while unloaded, and a range while fully loaded and another
while towing a respectable weight; they could then rate their vehicles for
towing and hauling so that the owner would not void the warranty. Or maybe that
is another underlying reason, the warranty.

To rate range, you would have to have some standard load. Tires, weight, shape, etc.

My experience is that range reduction from towing can be near zero up to near 50%.

Tesla, especially, has been reluctant to bless towing. I ignore them. The early Ss did seem to have rather fragile drive trains which would explain Tesla discouraging towing. But the Semi is supposed to use drive trains from 3s.