Your area must be different from the rest of the USA.  Everywhere I've lived if
you want to (legally) install a 200 amp main breakers you are require to have
200 amp service, which includes a 200 amp transformer (50kva)  These
requirements are in both the NEC and in most cases local codes/laws.
You can install a 200 amp service panel on less than 200 amp service, but the
main breakers MUST be sized to match the service you have.  I.e if you have 60
amp service, you can install a 200 amp panel with 60 amp main breakers.

One of my rental properties has 60 amp service and the couple renting it want
to switch from a gas funace (and evap cooler) to a heat pump, which will
require upgraded service.  The power company says it will cost $2400 to upgrade
to 200 amp service.  They could probably get away with 100 amp service, but the
cost is basically the same.

Bottom line, if you have 200 amp service you should be able to pull at least
160 amps continuous (National Electrical Code requires 20% derating for
constinuous use).