I have no idea of how much it cost to drill a 100 ft or more well through
clay soil. I do agree that a vertical pipe would probably be more effective
than a horizontal pipe. We had a water well drilled in southwest Missouri
some years ago. With casing but no pump that was $8,000. The ground in the
area of Table Rock Lake is limestone with a LOT of gravel near the “soil”
surface. Hand digging a hole for fence posts using a post hole digger was
very difficult.

That brings up another unfinished project on Radiant floor heating. Start
with a solar water heater as shown in an area of Builditsolar.
It is my understanding that heat does not travel at all quickly through pex
so the pex should be good for the distance from the solar water heater to
the hot water storage tank.

Run pex/pipe insulation/larger diameter pvc pipe underground to a large and
well insulated water storage tank. Within the tank run the heated water
through a large coil of copper pipe. That heats the potable water that then
runs to an on-demand electric water heater (in case water in the tank is
not hot enough) and then to faucets and then through piping under the
floor.

Bobby Keeland
Originally from northwest Arkansas but now in southern Louisiana