On 2021-03-21 00:14, Peter VanDerWal via EV wrote:
Without NET metering, solar has to rely on
batteries for energy storage and that triples the cost of the system making
it totally uneconomical.

Hi,
We just installed an 11 Kw Grid Feed PV that powers our Tesla Model 3 and more. Thanks for sharing, it is just what I needed to hear. We are also installing 8 more 410w PV panels, plus 3 vintage Jacobs wind electric conversion units through a different grid meter. So I do not get off topic here, my email is vio...@alliancecom.net should you wish further discussion.

I'm not sure that's true anymore.  PV prices are so cheap now that
trippling your array size today is now affordable.  When I installed
my array 10 years ago PV prices were 5 times as much as they are now,
so installin g3x as many panels is STILL cheaper than what I paid.
Even adding batteries doesn't increase the price that much
An off-grid array today can produce as much energy for the same or
lower price than a grid-tied from 10 years ago.

In fact I'm serious considering taking my house off grid because my
power company is increasing the connection fees for solar customers.
Once they finish implementing all of the price increases, I'll end up
paying $65 just for the priviledge of having a connection to the grid.
 They are also changing the net metering from 1kwh in to 1kwh out at
same price (basically banking energy for free) to wholesale price for
energy pushed to the grid and retail price for energy pulled from the
grid, basically I'll pay 10 cents a kwh to bank energy.

Switching to off-grid will cost me perhaps $7,000 more, but will save
me at least $900 a year.  Less than 8 years to break even.
I have already purchased 12 more 315w PV panels and a 3kw off-grid
inverter-charger which will work with my existing micro-inverters
using AC-coupling.  I'm looking for a LiIon battery pack from a
wrecked EV now.

My PGP public key: https://vanderwal.us/evdl_pgp.key