To close this thread, the electrician did mash the two wires near the resistor
and microswitch.
   Solution was to salvage the switch from the prior, melted paddle.
    I’m back to level 2 capability. 😅
Thanks for the help, all.

Sincerely,
Bob Bath

Note: any misspellings of the contents of this message are due to 56 y.o.
vision, hyperactive spell check changing what I typed, or fat fingering— not
cluelessness.