On 25 May 2022 at 14:37, Peri Hartman via EV wrote:

> For what it's worth, I pay for my own hosting, which costs a modest
> annual fee.

That's a good strategy.

You don't always get what you pay for, but you seldom get what you don't pay
for, and that applies to "free" email.  It often isn't really free anyway,
since you pay for it with your privacy and personal data.

The gold standard for email is probably running your own mailserver.  You
need expertise and time to keep it secure, so it's not for everyone.

You can also sign up with operations leasing mailservers as services,
typically to small businesses.  That's a great solution too.

However it usually doesn't cost much (if any) more to sign up for a shared
virtual webhosting account, which almost always includes mailhosting.
There's no reason you can't just leave the webhosting set to the parking
page.

Almost every virtual host has an easy web based "control panel" for adding
mail accounts, often as many as you wish.

A typical cost for a domain name and shared virtual hosting account will be
around $4-15 per month.  The low end will be more limited and/or require
that you hop around to take advantage of cheap introductory first-year
deals.

>From personal expeirence I advise against using any of the many hosts owned
by EIG

www.onlinetoolsexpert.com/full-list-of-eig-web-hosting-companies/

I've had a pretty decent experience with Dreamhost.  There are probably
thousands of others.  Some even claim to run on renewable energy.

I'll keep checking for other good email services that work reliably with the
list. You can always find the current list here:

http://evdl.org/help/index.html#listmail

Changing your email address is a hassle, but apart from the EVDL problem, I
advise against assuming that Gmail will always be around.  Google has a long
history of discontinuing services that aren't profitable enough for them.

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

     It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his
     salary depends on his not understanding it.

                                     -- Upton Sinclair