A large part of the popularity is due to the laws in the USA.

Powered three wheeled vehicles are considered "Motorcycles" by the Federal
government and most states, so they don't need to meet the safety requirements
for cars.

Three wheeled bicycles are specified by federal law as bicycles (overrules
state laws) and subject to the same rules/restrictins etc. as two wheeled
bicycles.
4 wheeled bicycles are not bicycles and aren't legal in some areas.

My PGP public key: https://vanderwal.us/evdl_pgp.key

HELP: http://www.evdl.org/help/