I think something similar to the BMW I3 Rex would be a good solution for most
people.
70-80 miles on batteries (less lithium, less weight) would work for the
majority of people 90-95% of the time.  For longer trips you switch over to the
onboard generator.

The main problem with the I3 Rex is it's built for California's asinine rules,
so it only goes approx 75 miles per tank.  Give it a larger gas tank, or the
option for connecting a larger tank, for those rare trips.

It's not a perfect solution, but it is a 'good' solution for today (with todays
technology) that would work for most people, and be a better option (for the
planet) than carrying around a massive LiIon battery or running just on
gasoline.

My PGP public key: https://vanderwal.us/evdl_pgp.key

HELP: http://www.evdl.org/help/