Hi John,
Why do you say that unstable input power would affect longevity of the
cells? What do you think happens under driving conditions?
As long as you carefully monitor (with that BMS) that none of the
individual cell voltages do not go over the max charge voltage, you can
throw what you want towards the cells and they will happily absorb it.
Heck, you have a 280Ah pack and only 52A of charging current. As long as
the cells are not stone cold (then you must charge them slow) they will not
have a problem charging at less than 0.2 C.
The solar array is quite good as charger actually, because it behaves as
current source, following the rising pack voltage.
For the most time your pack will be at 154V (3.2V per cell) so the 172 will
be pulled down 18V when connected to the pack, this is only 10% so not a
big loss.

I know there has been quite some discussions about max charge voltage of
LiFePO4, some say stay below 3.45V while others promote goin up to 3.7V.
Read the specs of your cells carefully and make sure your BMS can stop the
charging automatically when one cell reaches max. Then, there may follow a
period of balance charging where you insert a resistor in series with the
pack such that the charge current is less than the balancing current of the
BMS.
For example if your array at ambient temperature has an open voltage of
180V and your pack is at 160V while you want to pull all cells to 3.45V
balanced for a total pack voltage of 165V, and your BMS can balance cells
at 1/2 Amp for example, the you can insert a 40 Ohms 10Watt resistor to
bridge the 20V difference between pack and solar array while allowing not
more than 1/2 Amp to flow, so the BMS can absorb (bypass) that current in
the highest cell(s) so they do not go higher and continue to charge the
lower cells at that current until they too reach max voltage cut off.
Hope this helps,
Cor.