Having read this list for several years now, and commented occasionally, I know
there some electrical engineers out there. It is to you I address this problem.

I am now the proud owner of a '96 Solectria Force which will be receiving a new
battery made up of 48, 280A LiFePo4 prismatic cells. The Force was designed to
run at 156v (13 lead acid batteries). My primary power source is a 16 panel,
8.5 Kw PV array. Max voltage under load is 43v/panel at 13A. There is no back
up power as I am not grid tied. I do have a small domestic 24v Li battery to
run my shop. The Force battery will be equipped with a robust BMS.

I can configure the panels to provide 172v at 52A in full sun but I know that
the voltage and amp will be unstable which does not promote longevity in Li
cells. Normal circumstances have a charge controller between the battery and
the array to even out the voltage. Normal charge controllers are 48v or less. I
would like to find or build a buck/boost circuit that would match the battery.

I think I could break the Force battery into 3, 16s packs, charge them parallel
at 48v+ and then reconnect in series for discharge. I think 2 contactors per
pack along with appropriate safety devices would do the job but that seems
cumbersome at best if workable.

I am not an engineer. I do have 30 years experience with automotive
electronics. Since partial retirement, over the past 15 years I have converted
an S-10 and 2 tractors to run as EVs. So I am somewhat familiar with the
concepts and pitfalls.

I would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions. Thanks in advance.

John M

"Money doesn't talk, it swears"--Bob Dylan
HELP: http://www.evdl.org/help/