Teslas are lined up in extreme cold, waiting for Chicago Supercharger
stations, where charging is very slow.  Apparently some drivers have run out
of charge trying to stay warm while waiting for a turn and had to call for a
tow.

Not a big surprise at ~-20C I suppose, but I don't recall reading of such
problems in the Nordic countries.  Maybe those owners are more likely to be
educated about their vehicles, and to follow Tesla's cold weather
recommendations.

Not much is said about other EV brands, but there's no reason I can think of
that Teslas should have any more cold weather charging problems than Bolts,
 Leaves, Kias, et cetera.

-----

Dead Tesla cars pile up at Chicago Superchargers in extreme cold

A bunch of Tesla vehicles were unable to charge at Supercharger stations
across Chicago amid an extreme cold wave. ...

Chicago is seeing an extreme cold wave at the moment. Yesterday, the windy
city had a temperature of 2F (-19C) that felt like- 20F (-29C) after the
wind factor.

These extreme temperatures have been blamed for issues at Tesla Supercharger
stations across the city. ...

Most Superchargers are marked as all-in-use with wait times ...

https://electrek.co/2024/01/16/dead-tesla-cars-pile-up-chicago-superchargers-
extreme-cold/

or https://cntp.me/ZF6ntkE

-----

"I've been here for over five hours at this point and I still have not
gotten to charge my car," Tesla driver Brandon Welbourne told CBS News
Chicago, as car horns blared nearby. "A charge that should take 45 minutes
is taking two hours." ...

Tesla has tips for drivers in the cold ...

maintaining a charge of at least 20% ...

warm[ing] the battery. ...

using Trip Planner to navigate to a charging location for at least 30-45
minutes before arrival to ensure optimal Battery temperature and charging
conditions ...

"Always connect to an external, low voltage power supply before opening a
door when the vehicle has no power," Tesla says, "to avoid breaking a
window." [Yikes.  I take it that Teslas have no hard-key backup.]

https://www.npr.org/2024/01/16/1224913698/teslas-chicago-charging-extreme-
cold

or https://cntp.me/xlCSYgo

-----

Most news sources are reporting it straight and without bias.  A few are
pushing the negatives.  Thanks guys.  Example:

'Don't Buy a Tesla': Chicago's EV Drivers Struggle With Sub-Zero
Temperatures

With temperatures consistently below zero in Chicago, electric vehicle
drivers there have struggled to keep their EVs charged over the past few
days. ...

"I've never seen it like this before," says one driver on TikTok as she
scrolls through her Tesla app, which shows 20- to 30-minute wait times at
most Superchargers near her. "Don't get a Tesla," she says, unless you live
in a warm climate. ...

When PCMag took a Tesla Model 3 on a day trip around Chicago in January
2023, it achieved less than 100 miles of the advertised range and could not
go more than an hour and a half without charging. ...

https://www.pcmag.com/news/dont-buy-a-tesla-chicagos-ev-drivers-struggle-
with-sub-zero-temperatures

or https://cntp.me/lJQ6r4T

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

     A great many people think they are thinking when they are
     really rearranging their prejudices.

                                            -- Edward R Murrow

HELP: http://www.evdl.org/help/