I don’t think it’s fear. It’s resale. Used EVs are cheap here so no reason to
buy a wrecked one.

Sent from AT&T Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Monday, March 4, 2024, 3:18 PM, EV List Lackey via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
wrote:

Here's a story from late last year that just "crossed my desk."

The gist:

US body shops seem to be scared of EVs, so an unusually large number of them
are totaled after even minor collisions.

Partly because of battery fears and partly from low demand for used repair
parts*, recyclers don't see enough profit in EVs to keep them around.  So
they're being shipped overseas, notably to Eastern Europe.  A lot are ending
up in Ukraine, where repair shops aren't afraid to work on them.

The example the article uses is a Tesla Y, but a chart in the story shows
that the largest number of totaled US EV models arriving in Ukraine in
October 2023 were Nissan Leaves.

Chart:

https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/uk-ev.png

It's also interesting that the only *new* EVs imported to Ukraine in any
real numbers that month were Volkswagen ID4s.

Full story:

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2023/11/the-reincarnation-of-totalled-teslas-in-
ukraine/

Shortcut: https://v.gd/dCw1nJ

*I wonder if some of the reason for low used parts demand might be the
automakers' programming their vehicles' computers to reject non-factory
parts.  But that's pure speculation as I'm not an industry insider.

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

    Reporter (to Mahatma Gandhi): Mr Gandhi, what do you think of
    Western Civilization?
    Gandhi: I think it would be a good idea.

HELP: http://www.evdl.org/help/