From: "EV List Lackey via EV" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
To: ev@lists.evdl.org
Cc: "EV List Lackey" <evp...@drmm.net>
Sent: 13-Mar-24 10:34:14
Subject: [EVDL] EVLN: Norway's Ninety

I thought that France was doing decently with almost 25% EV sales (counting
true hybrids) In January 2024.  In Norway, over 90% of the private vehicles
sold in January were EVs.

NINETY PERCENT.

Total proportion of EVs now on Norway's roads: one-quarter.

And they don't have EV purchase subsidies.  Well, not exactly.  They tax
ICEVs heavily, but not EVs.  It works.

"Norway is perhaps an unlikely country to revolutionise transportation. How
has it managed to get so far ahead? "Simple answer: good tax policies," says
Christina Bu, the secretary general of the Norwegian EV Association, the
world´s largest EV club, with more than 120,000 members."

***

"Because Norway´s proportional, multi-party system often produces coalition
and minority governments, emissions haven´t become politicised, as they have
in other countries - there is enthusiasm for EVs across the spectrum. The
target of making all new cars zero emissions by 2025 was supported by all
parties."

***

[Norway's electricity is] almost entirely from renewable sources, of which
about 10% is wind. The rest comes from hydroelectric plants (the country´s
steep valleys and rivers lend themselves to hydro). Nygaard says: 'The
arguments for zero-emission transport are perhaps a bit easier to
communicate in Norway, because we are already based on renewable energy.'"

Full story:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/mar/12/how-did-norway-become-
the-electric-car-superpower-oil-money-civil-disobedience-and-morten-from-a-
ha

shortcut: https://v.gd/HBFv3F

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

     One of the problems with modern society is that it places
     more importance on things that have a price than on things
     that have a value.

                                   -- Pablo Fajardo

HELP: http://www.evdl.org/help/