> Russell Standish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > The converse question one could ask is whether a mathematical system
> > with a SAS could be embedded in our world.
> A simulation containing an aware AI is a simple example of this.
> You'll be seeing them before too long in video games everywhere.

But then you would just have another SAS embedded within our
mathematical structure. We already have these, namely homo sapiens,
such an entity is not too surprising. What I was asking was whether it
was possible to embed a mathematical structure - eg Conway's Game of
Life - that contained a SAS. It for from obvious that this is
possible, and if it were, it would imply that we were not in a minimal
information world.

Dr. Russell Standish                    Director
High Performance Computing Support Unit,
University of NSW                       Phone 9385 6967
Sydney 2052                             Fax   9385 6965
Australia                               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Room 2075, Red Centre                   http://parallel.hpc.unsw.edu.au/rks