Joel Dobrzelewski wrote:

> And please explain for me how this calculation involved
> the continuum or infinite binary expansion of the symbol
> "pi" in any meaningful way.

Sorry, missed getting in this riposte in the last post. What does a
binary expansion have to with the calculation .1 * 10 = 1? (I am
assuming the usual decimal base convention).

Binary representations are no more real than pencil marks on a paper.

As far as the continuum is concerned, calculations involving pi do not
involve the continuum. There is a whole lot of mathematics in between
the discrete and the continuous (pretty much all of it I'm afraid!).

                                                Cheers

Dr. Russell Standish                     Director
High Performance Computing Support Unit, Phone 9385 6967
UNSW SYDNEY 2052                         Fax   9385 6965