Tim, Hal, Russell

Since we have several futures ( and several pasts), time travel is just a particular case of many-world travel.

Here is a (white) hared brained idea on how to build a time machine. You need a very good recording device and a Quantum Suicide (QS) machine.
        1) You allow the recorder to operate for a prolonged period of time and record everything in the universe within an given degree of resolution.
        2) You select a past where you would like to go and send the corresponding data to a QS machine.
        3) The QS machine then restricts your consciousness to follow a path in the manyworld leading to the reconstruction of the selected past within the tolerance provided by the recording machine. This path must go through a series of worlds logically consistent with your consciousness to eventually reach the world you desire. This is navigation in the manyworld! (it reminds me of the sci-fi author Zelazny).

Result of the time travel is the *extreme* reduction in relative measure of the time traveler. This is why time travelers are not observable.
Time travel can only work if there is a recording already in existence. Thus, time travelers cannot go before the recording machine was turned on.

Of course, beside time travel, several other forms of manyworld travel are possible, ie., going to alternate pasts, alternate presents, improbable futures, fantasy worlds, etc...

If this idea has any merit this is why space travelers are not observable either. It provides a form of cosmic censorship.  By reducing their measure through QS and the likes, advanced aliens just evolve out of existence in our world!

George