Hi Nick,

I asked a question in a thread "Quantum accident survivor" some time ago where, at least in my mind, it was concluded that we can indeed be removed from loved ones each time we survive a situation that was clearly deadly in most cases and that one's consciousness is "nudged" away from the time-lines which end in death. In a strictly interhuman relationship manner we do end up alone. However QI is far from accepted. If this is what we are going to settle on believing then it follows that for us to actually be immortal some physical processes must account for the continued survival of our bodies, no matter how far fetched/improbable. So you would have to believe that in the next 10s of years (depending on how old you are) remarkable biotechnological breakthroughs would need to occur to prevent death of old age. This seems unlikely. My thoughts then turn to what about those people who were born and died 1000s of years ago? Did their consciousnesses go down paths of immortality? Also will every conscious being living with a serious injury (broken spine) be cured?

I'm not convinced either way, but it's fun to think about.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Nick Prince" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Everything-List" <everything-list@eskimo.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2005 4:57 PM
Subject: many worlds theory of immortality

My apologies to the group for bringing up questions which may have
been covererd before but I cannot find an answer to the following
query and I am new to the group.

I  have a question to put to anyone who has some ideas as follows:

If the MW immortality is correct then would we not only be immortal but
also very alone in the end.  We know that we observe others die so
since we always find ourselves in a branch of the multiverse where we
live on - the conclusion seems inescapable

Can anyone figure a way out of such inevitable eternal loneliness
because I rather like to chat to my freinds!!

Nick Prince