Alternatively, it is the recognition that Nothing and Everything are
mathematically the same object (This is a little more subtle that
Pearce's "summing to zero", but it is essentially the same
argument). Now either Nothing exists, or something exists. Since Nothing and
Everything exhaust the possibilities, and they are identical, there is
no question left to answer.

To get something from Everything (equivalently nothing), one invokes
the symmtry breaking operation of observation.

I find this perfectly satisfying.

On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 12:09:23PM -0400, Stephen Paul King wrote:
> Dear Norman,
>
>    Existence, itself, can not be said to require an explanation for such
> would be a requirement that there is a necessitate prior to which Existence
> is dependent upon. Pearce's idea is not new and we have it from many
> thinkers that the totality of the multiverse must sum to zero, that is the
> essence of symmetry. It is the actuality of the content of our individual
> experiences (including all of the asymmetries) that we have to justify.
>
> Stephen

may safely ignore this attachment.