Saibal Mitra writes:
The answer must be a) because (and here I disagree with Jesse), all that
exists is an ensemble of isolated observer moments. The future, the past,
alternative histories, etc.  they all exist in a symmetrical way. It don't
see how some states can be more ''real'' than other states. Of course, the
universe we experience seems to be real to us while alternative universes,
or past or future states of this universe are not being experienced by us.

> Stathis Papaioannou writes:
> If on the basis of a coin toss the world splits, and in one branch I am
> instantaneously killed while in the other I continue living, there are
> several possible ways this might be interpreted from the 1st person
> viewpoint:
>
> (a) Pr(I live) = Pr(I die) = 0.5
>
> (b) Pr(I live) = 1, Pr(I die) = 0
>
> (c) Pr(I live) = 0, Pr(I die) = 1

Another thought: if I die instantaneously in one of the two branches - that is, I don't have time to experience that branch at all - is this not functionally equivalent to being copied and instantaneously killed in multiple branches? In the next moment, I expect to find myself alive and continuing to type this in Melbourne, but dead in Sydney, Paris, Mars etc. - dead almost everywhere else in the multiverse, in fact. Given the reasoning in support of answer (a), doesn't this mean I should have almost zero expectation of finding myself alive in Melbourne in the next moment?

Stathis Papaioannou

View 1000s of pictures, profiles and more now at Lavalife http://lavalife.com.au