Thanks for that, Jesse. History-by-Hollywood has been my downfall
before...scriptwriter Akiva Goldsman should perhaps get six cuts of
the school cane for using such a high degree of creative licence with
the facts. A "Best Movie" vote seems to screw up one's scholarly
instincts to check the truth of the matter.  Goldsman has been
mercifully truer to the original with his job on "The Da Vinci Code" ;)

Nevertheless, do we see any interest in Nash's flitting in and out of
"sanity" and the corresponding strengthening and weakening of his
maths genius? As a reasonable (= non-schizo) machine he seemed
capable of a form of almost transcendental mathematical perception -
possibly almost as fabulous as Bruno's :) - during his extensive
schizophrenic interludes, a different form of perception seemed to
hold sway. Was he tripping between parallel versions of himself - or
what? The relevance to the discussion (for me) lies in his apparent
inabilty to choose his mental orientation. In both (opposing) mental
states he was being true to himself. He was surely a plural-self.
Maybe the imposition of a certain chemistry is the key to a
multiversal (ie non-linear) perception of self. Don't experiment with
this thought at home, though.....

Kim