Lee Corbin writes:

> Well, people here are prepared to accept that at each
> moment the universe splits into innumerable copies,
> that physics is governed by equations that Feynman
> (erroneously IMO) says nobody can understand, and
> our lives are not as they appear, but are composed
> of ensembles of observer moments.

Actually, my personal view is that *none* of my copies are me, whether in the future, the past, in a parallel universe or coming out of a teleporter in this universe. I believe the first person singular pronoun can only be used consistently when referring to a single observer moment, and that it is misunderstanding this which leads to the so-called paradoxes of personal identity. Without going into arguments about the merits of this view, given that I honestly believe it, how should I behave? I can get into an aeroplane trusting that it will not plummet like a stone or fall off the edge of the world, but I can't accept at the visceral level, despite what I know intellectually, that the person waking up in my bed tomorrow won't be me. The conventional view on personal identity would seem to be wired into my brain at a much deeper level than the belief that the world is flat or that chunks of metal can't fly.

Stathis Papaioannou

Be one of the first to try Windows Live Mail. Windows Live Mail.