On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 11:46:08AM +0200, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> Le 24-juil.-06, à 13:56, Russell Standish a écrit :
>
> > Consciousness is the state of "being like something" to use Nagel's
> > term. It is also the characteristic of the "reference class" in
> > Anthropic reasoning.
> >
> > Self-awareness is being aware of oneself as a distinct thing different
> > from the environment.
> >
> > It is not immediately obvious that these are identical - but perhaps
> > I'm overlooking something.
>

> I am pretty sure consciousness and self-awareness are different concept.
> But we are a long way to distinguishing them theoretically at the
> present stage, so I would say that to insist on the difference here is
> akin to a 1004 fallacy, imo.
> The difference you are mentioning is the difference between awareness
> and self-awareness, or between consciousness and self-consciousness I
> would say,
>
> Bruno

Are they different or not? If we use different words for them, that
indicates that there is a difference.

I wasn't satisfied with Stathis's answer, but there has to be some
reason why consciousness cannot appear without
self-awareness. Otherwise the Occam catastrophe will bring down all of
Platonia on our heads!

Cheers

may safely ignore this attachment.