Brent Meeker writes:

> Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

> >> I'd say that a defintion of "computer" that applies to everything
> >> is useless.
> >

> > I agree, it's completely useless to *us* because we couldn't interact
> > with it. That would be the end of the matter unless we say that
> > computation can lead to consciousness, creating as it were its own
> > observer. Are you prepared to argue that the aforementioned Klingon
> > AI suddenly stops being conscious when the last copy of the manual
> > which would allow us to interact with it is destroyed?
>
> If it's intelligent we should be able to interact with it without a manual.

I should have specified, there is no input or output device connected. With
a "normal" computer we might look for patterns in its internal states and
design drivers for a keyboard and monitor, but with this computer its
internal states are apparently completely random unless you have the
original design specifications.

Stathis Papaioannou