On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 10:05:37AM +1000, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

> Another question: I can see why a computer should be able to handle
> counterfactuals if it is to be of practical use, but what is wrong with
> saying that a recording implements a computation, whether that is
> adding two numbers or having a conscious experience?
>
> Stathis Papaioannou

In the Multiverse, there is a huge difference between a recording and
the actual computation. Only in one single universe (or history) of
the ensemble do the two coincide.

The "recording is a computation" issue is only a problem for single
universe theory IMHO.

Cheers

may safely ignore this attachment.