Peter Jones writes:

> Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
>
> > I don't know if block universe theories are true or not, but the subjective
> > passage of time is not an argument against them. If mind is computation, do
> > you believe that a conscious computation can tell if it is being run as a
> > sequential
> > series of steps or in parallel, without any external information?
>

> If it is being run at all, it is dynamic, not static. Parallel
> processes are still
> processes.

But the important point is that the temporal sequence does not itself make a
difference
to subjective experience. Would you say that it is in theory possible for the
subjective
passage of time to be as we know it if the blocks were not infinitesimal, but
lasted for
a second, so that the whole ensemble of blocks lasted for a second? Then what
if you
make the blocks shorter in duration and larger in number, progressively down to
infinitely many blocks of infinitesimal duration: is there room for dynamism in
an
infenitesimal interval? And note that the usual linear view of time is not so
different
from this: an infinite sequence of infinitesimals, which somehow add up to the
effect
of continuous activity.

Stathis Papaioannou