Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

>>>What's the difference?
>>>
>>>Stathis Papaioannou
>>
>>You could regard the theorems of arithmetic as just being relative to Peano's
>>axioms: "1+1=2 assuming Peano"  Somewhat as Bruno presents his theorems as
>>relative to the "axiom" of COMP.
>>
>>Brent Meeker
>

> Even if you say that, there is still a sense in which arithmetic is
> independent of the
> real world. The same can be said of Euclidian geometry: it follows from
> Euclid's axioms
> *despite* the fact that real space is not Euclidian. The fact that real space
> is not
> Euclidian means that Euclidian geometry does not describe the real world, not
> that
> it is false or non-existent.
>
> Stathis Papaioannou

But the fact that a theorem is true relative to some axioms doesn't make it
true
or existent.  Some mathematicians I know regard it as a game.  Is true that a
bishop can only move diagonally?  It is relative to chess.  Does chess exist?
It does in our heads.  But without us it wouldn't.

Brent Meeker