1Z wrote:

> Brent Meeker wrote:
>
>>1Z wrote:
>>>If two systems differ counterfactually, they are not physically
>>>identical.
>>
>>I don't think I understand this either.
>

> Either that, or counterfactuallity is  asupernatural phenomenon.
>

>>Computer programs contain if-then
>>statements which branch the process depending on the data input to the
>>program.
>>  But there is no real distinction between data an program.
>

> There is a difference between data and process --i.e. running
> programme.

I don't disagree, but I don't see what that has to do with programs having
if-thens.  Given the program and the data, the process is only going down one
branch.  So when you talk about counterfactuals it must be because you are
considering other possible data as input.

> Standard computationalism says mentation (as an activity)
> is computation (as  a process). It is a rare computationalist
> who think that a spool of tape gathering dust in a cupboardi
> is mentating. (Not much of a Yes Doctor).
>

>>  So if you insist
>>that  computed intelligence or consciousness depends on counterfactuals in the
>>program that seems to me to be the same as insisting that the computation is
>>implemented in some way that divides it from input data, i.e. it is in an
>>environment.
>

> Well, it is divided -- by the programme/process distinction.

That's the (program+data)/process distinction.  But ISTM that without a
program/data distinction, counterfactuals are a distinction without a
difference.

Brent Meeker