John Mikes writes:

> Stathis:
> would you condone to include in your (appreciated) post below the words at
> the * I plant into your text?
> The words: "in the (scientific?) belief system we have TODAY about our
> interpretation of whatever epistemically we so far learned about the
> 'world'."

OK, I could accept the inclusion of that clause.

> That would underline your subsequent sentence - if you kindly stop
> denigrating the term 'metaphysics' - a pejoration of the same 'carried away'
> physicists.

I guess those physicists and philosophers in the Empiricist tradition have
my mind against theology and metaphysics. Sorry, can't help it.
> The word 'prediction' also sends the chill alongside my spine: how can a
> model based on a model predict events subject to impact from 'beyond model'
> changes?
> The many results of science-technology should not lead us into a generalized
> acceptance of the model-based thinking. This list is a good example.

Prediction in science is not like prediction by oracles and prophets. If you
take your
umbrella with you when you see that the sky is cloudy, you are implicitly
making a
scientific prediction based on a meteorological model. Science is really just
sense writ large.

Stathis Papaioannou
> John Mikes

To post to this group, send email to