Colin, list,

I've looked back over your previous posts. It seems like scientists (I'm not
one) talk about consciousness in two different senses, in two different roles
-- consciousness for clear and sure apprehension of logic & evidence, and
consciousness as a phenomenon, an appearance. It's not so surprising that that
which is always needed by us, glued to us, for things to appear, is itelf very
difficult to make appear as a phenomenon. The most obvious contrast whereby one
becomes conscious of one's consciousness is the contrast between consciousness
and unconsciousness -- being awake really is different from being dreamlessly
asleep. And while we don't remember an experience of dreamless sleep itself, we
do remember stages between wakefulness and such sleep, stages and gradations
which come arbitrarily near to the dreamless sleep. This gives us some
perspective on consciousness.

We rely and build on consciousness but that's a different thing from developing
theories and hypotheses _about_ consciousness in those of its respects which
are not obvious to us -- those of its respects whereof we're not clearly and
firmly conscious. If there were no such non-obvious respects, then there'd be
no point developing theories and hypotheses about consciousness.

There are a lot of things which we surmise and can't resist surmising. In real
life, one of those many surmises is that others are conscious as I am. Maybe
some sociopaths can manage denying it, but a normal person who actually denies
it will find it hitting him or her like a ton of bricks if s/he gets
emotionally close to somebody. And of course there's no evidence like the
evidence consisting in a ton of bricks hitting the observer! The fact of
forceful kinds of evidence reaching out and pushing the observer around, is a
reason why "phenomenal contents" doesn't sound like a faithful rephrasing of
"scientific evidence" even in the first place. Scientific evidence is a
commonsense-perceptual kind of thing, not just a spectator-sensory thing. Yet,
in a sense, not only anti-solipsism, but also every perceptual judgment, is a
surmise. Why should it be difficult to observe consciousness in a
scientifically useful way as one observes many everyday objects of perceptual
judgments? Well, one _can_ observe one's own consciousness sometimes in
scientifically useful ways -- for instance, when consciousness is affected by
circumstances, stress, drugs, and lots and lots of other things -- and one can
use others' reports on their conciousness under various conditions, etc., and
there's plenty of mind/brain science involved in dealing with such reports and
with physiological & anatomical correlations etc.

Consciousness is tricky. I really can't observe another's inwardness as I can
observe my own. Maybe some day technology will make it possible. Anyway,
normally, when something has an inside and an outside, there are a series of
stages whereby one can pass between them, see them as bound together, each as
the other side of the other, and establish just what is thing X's outside, and
what is some further but non-essential layer, a husk, etc. This is not so easy
when "thing X" is consciousness. The phenomenologist & child psychologist
Merleau-Ponty was very interested in this question, and discussed attempts of
consciousness to bridge that gap, through left hand touching right hand, etc. I
remember when I was a kid doing that, trying to catch my own touch somehow, one
hand touching the other, trying to complete some sort of circuit.

It appears that the thing which is most familiar of all is also the strangest
of all. The obvious side of consciousness is firm enough for people to do
science based on it as _verificative basis_. The mysterious side is uncertain
enough that it's hard for people to know where to begin in terms of _explaining
it as a phenomenon_ -- explaining what? -- they disagree even about that, how
to objectify it. So far all I'm saying is that consciousness is really weird
and we need to recognize that. I agree that it's inconsistent to insist on
grounding scientific behavior in conscious experience while insisting that
conscious experience is too incoherent in conception to be treated as a
phenomenon. But that doesn't stop it from being a very weird and difficult
phenomenon to study.

I wouldn't say that we "see" consciousness. We see things. The meanings of
words like "see" and "observe" are formed on the basis of common-sense notions
whereby one "sees" a horse, rather than, say, an event in one's sensory-neural
system or in any other sense sees one's seeing. One doesn't see the channel or
the medium or whatever, one sees the thing through it. A perceptual
psychologist may habitually say that sensory-neural events are all that you
really perceive, but that's just a forcefully unusual way of speaking (and
thinking) in order to draw your attention toward subtle phenomena. Well, maybe
it's not an unusual way for perceptual psychologists to speak and think, but,
moving on.... Anyway, a thing is known in its effects, and when those effects
are apprehended with sufficient clarity, sureness, interactibility, etc., we
say that we perceive the thing itself. Blind people do develop a phenomenal
field in other ways in order to compensate for the lack of visuality, and
recently there was a report that a few even use rapid clicks for echolocation.

Actually all perception involves inbuilt reference to the perceiving subject --
perspectival distortion refers back to the subject as located within the scene,
for instance. We see a thing as it figures and looms in our seeing.
- Commonsense perception places you in individual, haecceitous circumstances.
- Sensory modalities and qualia place you in a species; the trumpet vividness
of the color red is your evolutionary past's note to you to pay attention to
signs of vertebrate wounds, while _cultivated_ senses/"intuitions"/"instincts"
place you in communities often of people with similar tastes; qualities are
things sharable, general, but not universal.
- Intellectual capacities and relations place you in and athwart universes.
- Imagination goes everywhere, like 'pure' math it's more about the goings and
transformabilities (which are the universals that _aren't_ universes) than
about anything else.
Paying attention to such subtle relationships, we may in a sense "see" seeing,
be conscious of consciousness in its varieties (and I've been mentioning mostly
cognitive ones). If we compare seeing to hearing, then we become aware of how
things very differently lend themselves to being seen and being heard. In such
comparisons we may in a sense "see" seeing, etc. But seeing a horse is very
different from "seeing" such seeing. Without considering these variations in
consciousness itself, to say that "everything is consciousness" is to turn the
conception into something like a constant conversion-factor that doesn't
actually add that much conceptually. Now, when one opens up a cranium one does
see more things just like one sees outside the cranium, though one doesn't
clearly see inside the cranium those very things which the cranium's owner
sees; to me that just says that consciousness has two, at least two, very
different sides. And the fact that I have experienced many gradations between
full consciousness and dreamless sleep, says to me that there's no need for me
to think of everything as consciousness. I tend to think of vegetable,
material, and physical things as things that are very deeply, very dreamlessly,
asleep all the time. That which is most mysterious about consciousness, and
which I don't know how to describe, and am just glad that others notice it too,
a rich and deep feeling of "realness" or not just the feeling, but the realness
and aliveness itself -- I shouldn't even try to describe it, I might describe
it differently tomorrow -- seems pretty hard to get at unless we start with the
simpler things about consciousness. Again, it appears that the thing which is
most familiar of all is also the strangest of all. I tend to think that there's
some sort of philosophical necessity in that, some sort of far-reaching
inverseness relationship involved.

But, past a certain point, going over all these generalities stops advancing
the point and makes me sound fuddy-duddy. It sounds like you have some further,
and more-specific, ideas, which are the real energy source behind your argument.

Best, Ben Udell