----- Original Message -----
From: "1Z" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Everything List" <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 29, 2006 10:41 AM
Subject: Re: computationalism and supervenience

Peter:
"... A counterfactual is a COUNTERfactual - -it is
something that could have happenned but didn't. There is no
reason why we should be conscious of in things
we coudl have done but didn't. ..."

JM:
It could not have happened in another way if it did happen THIS way.. WE may
think - in our limited circle of knowledge - that something else was also
viable, but in the deterministic world of  a total (unlimited, not
model-enclosed) interconnectedness - whatever happened, was "the" possible
way of events.
I am not talking about HP universes or thought experiments.

The same argument holds against "bifurcation" when the scientist has a
(limited?) fantasy and can 'think' of another (ONE?) option for the real
happening and builds a theory on it. Because of such argumentation some
researchers started to talk about not 'bi'-, but "multifurcation" which was
not so bad, but not better indeed.
Any better definition for counterfactuals?

John M