Brent Meeker writes:

> I think we need to say what it means for a computation to be
> self-interpreting.  Many
> control programs are written with self-monitoring functions and logging
> functions.
> Why would we not attribute consciousness to them?

Well, why not? Some people don't even think higher mammals are conscious, and
perhaps
some there are true solipsists who could convince themselves that other people
are not really
conscious as rationalisation for antisocial behaviour. On the other hand, maybe
flies experience
pain and fear when confronted with insecticide that is orders of magnitude
greater than that
of any mere human experience of torture, and maybe when I press the letter "y"
on my
keyboard I am subjecting my computer to the torments of hell. I don't buy the
argument that
only complex brains or computations can experience pain either: when I was a
child I wasn't
as smart as I am now, but I recall that it hurt a lot more and I was much more
likely to cry when
I cut myself.

Stathis Papaioannou