Le 03-oct.-06, à 21:33, George Levy a écrit :

Bruno,

I looked on the web but could not find Maudlin's paper.

Mmh... for those working in an institution affiliated to JSTOR, it is available here:
http://www.jstor.org/view/0022362x/di973301/97p04115/0

I will search if some free version are available elsewhere, or put a pdf-version on my web page.

So I just go by what you are saying.

I still stand by the spirit of what I said but I admit to be misleading in stating that Maudlin himself is part of the machine. It is not Maudlin, but Maudlin's proxy or demon, the Klaras which is now parts of the machine. Maudlin used the same trick that Maxwell used. He used a the demon or proxy to perform his (dirty) work.

It seems to me that if you trace the information flow you probably can detect that Maudlin is cheating: How are the protoolympia and the Klaras defined?

Maudlin is cheating ? No more than a doctor who build an artificial brain by copying an original at some level. Remember we *assume* the comp hypothesis.

To design his protoolympia and the Klaras he must start with the information about the machine and the task PI. If he changes task from PI to PIprime than he has to apply a different protoolympia and different Klaras, and he has to intervene in the process!

Yes but only once. Changing PI to PIprime would be another thought experiment. I don't see the relevance.
I know you got the paper now. It will help in this debate.

Maudlin's argument is far from convincing.

BTW I thought you did understand the physics/psychology (theology/computer-science/number-theory) reversal. What makes you changing your mind? (just interested).

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---