Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

> I was using "quantum state" as synonymous with "physical state", which I guess
> is what you are referring to in the above paragraph. The observer sees a
> classical
> universe because in observing he collapses the wave function or selects one
> branch
> of the multiverse. Traditional computationalism ignores the other branches/
> other
> elements of the superposition,

Traditional computationalism doesn't say anything about physics
other than the background assumption that it allows
for computation.

>  but you have implied previously that these are
> necessary for consciousness because they allow implementation of
> counterfactuals.

i.e. Consciousness must supervene on N>1 branches, if computationalism
and quantum MW are both true.

> Does that mean consciousness would be impossible in a classical universe?

No, because classical counterfactuals are exactly that --
things that could have happened but didn't.