Jamie,

I basically agree with your appraisal of the differences between living
brains and digital computers. However, it should be possible for a general
purpose computer to emulate the behaviour of a biological system in software.
After all, biological systems are just comprised of matter following the laws
of
physics, which are well understood and deterministic at the size scales of
interest.
When it comes to neural tissue, the emulation should be able to replace the
original
provided that it is run on sufficiently fast hardware and has appropriate
interfaces for
input and output.

While it would be extremely difficult to emulate a particular human brain (as
in
"mind uploading"), it should be easier to emulate a simplified generic brain,
and easier
again to emulate a single simplified perceptual function, such as pain. This
means that
it should be possible to store on a hard disk lines of code which, when run on
a PC,
will result in the program experiencing pain; perhaps excruciating pain beyond
what
humans can imagine, if certain parameters in the program are appropriately
chosen.
What might a simple example of such code look like? Should we try to determine
what
the painful programs are as a matter of urgency, in order to avoid using them
in
subroutines in other programs?

Stathis Papaioannou