Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

Jef Allbright writes:

My personal experience is that there's no paradox at all if one is willing to fully accept that within
any framework of description there is absolutely
no difference at all between a person and a zombie, but even the most philosophically cognizant,
being evolved human organisms, will snap back to
defending the existence of a 1st person point of
view even though it isn't detectable or measurable
and has absolutely no effect on the physical world.

I don't know about "no effect" on the external world. If the mental supervenes on certain physical processes, that means that without these physical processes there can be no mental, and without the mental there can be no physical processes. It works both ways.

But to claim that it works both ways would seem to invalidate the claim
of the absolute primacy of the subjective experience.

This is a slippery concept, made more difficult due to the evolutionary
imperative to protect the Self (at least long enough to successfully
propagate the genes), and consequentially reinforced by our language and
culture.

I've enjoyed your thoughtful and good-natured comments, and at this
point, having nothing further to add, I'll step back and try to read and
work through Bruno's "comp".

Best regards,

- Jef