Hi Brent,

Brent: ' > You seem to imply that the advent of the scientific
method banished slavery and tyranny and racism.  Would that it
were so.  Perhaps the scientific method can be applied to
politics and perhaps it would have that effect, but historically
the scientific method has been used to justify racism, Facism,
Nazism, and Communism, as well as liberal democracy.  One can
point to those political movements now and regard them as
experiments that demonstrated their faults, but that's not much
help in shaping the future.'

MP: No Brent, I am an optimist as a matter of principle but I
don't believe in fairies. This is why I assert that all four
'fundamental ingredients' are necessary. Doom will follow if any
is missing!  :-o   My point is that scientific method has
provided the key to unlocking the true latent power available
but otherwise hidden in the natural world. For example fossil
hydrocarbons and the engines they power have vastly increased
the energy available to be deployed in human work. Put simply,
slave labour as means and method for creating capital works or
maintenance is not just cruel, it is stupidly inefficient also.
I am sure we are on the same page with this.

I am asserting that none of compassion, democracy, ethics or
scientific method is an 'optional extra'; without any of these
your society is doomed both to reversion into authoritarian
barbarity with concomitant lethal conflict, plus mass poverty
and all the ills that come with it.

As I am sure you have noticed people often loosely talk about
science as being responsible for all manner of problems or bad
things [paraphrasing Pratchett: 'All things actions are bad for
some particular value of 'bad']. The truth is that scientific
method is just a tool, and the uses or abuses to which it is put
depend on the ethical stance and decisions of those responsible.

In summary: I assert that all policies of governing bodies,
private or public, will become self-defeating where they leave
out any of these essential ingredients. So a country governed by
"Sharia Law" or "Biblical principles" [to name but two] to the
exclusion of any of the four essential ingredients, is doomed
eventually to poverty, strife, and all the miseries these evils
bring.

Regards

Mark Peaty  CDES

[EMAIL PROTECTED]