Jason Resch wrote:
> Uv,
>
> One of the concerns people have with free will or the lack thereof is
> that if physics is deterministic, one's future actions can predicted
> beforehand, without them even having to exist.  However, an interesting
> consequence of computationalism is this: One's future actions cannot be
> predicted without a simulation that goes into enough detail to
> instantiate that person's consciousness.

I don't think this is true.  First, it is often possible to predict someone's
actions in a particular situation, yet this clearly is not done by duplicating
their consciousness.  So the amount of computation required to predict a
conscious beings actions a little into future may not be that great.  To
actually predict their behavior far into the future would also require
simulating a very large part of their environment; stuff we don't normally
consider part of their consciousness.  So conversely the computation required
instantiate consciousness, given the environment as input, may be fairly small.

Brent Meeker