On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 09:04:15AM +0100, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> Ah! See my papers for a proof that indeed consciousness does not
> emerge from brain function. See the paper by Maudlin for an
> independent and later argument (which handles also the "counterfactual
> objection"). You have to assume the body is a machine.

I presume by "emerge", you mean "supervene on". I don't see how you
prove this in your thesis, just the contradiction of computationalism
with naive physicalism, which is not the same thing. See the footnote
in my book on page 69.

Its an important point, as without supervenience, the Occam
catastrophe happens, which contradicts what we observe.