Quentin Anciaux wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2009/1/14 Brent Meeker <meeke...@dslextreme.com
> <mailto:meeke...@dslextreme.com>>
>

>     Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
>      > 2009/1/14 Brent Meeker <meeke...@dslextreme.com
>     <mailto:meeke...@dslextreme.com>> wrote:
>      >
>      >> However a Turing machine is not just a set of states, it also
>     requires a
>      >> set of transition rules.  So in the same abstract way that the
>     integers
>      >> are ordered by "succession" the computational states of a Turing
>     machine
>      >> are ordered.  Whether just abstract rules, without
>     implementation, are
>      >> sufficient isn't clear to me.
>      >
>      > In an actual physical computer the transition rules are
>     represented by
>      > the causal links between the states, so that a particular input will
>      > reliably give rise to a particular output. But I return to my
>     question
>      > about what would happen if there were a discontinuity in a
>     sequence of
>      > states, so that s1 to s10 on m1 are causally linked, s11 to s20 on m2
>      > are causally linked, but there is no link between m1 and m2, i.e. m2
>      > just happens to start in s11 accidentally. Assuming that s1 to s20
>      > occurring in a single machine results is a few moments of
>      > consciousness (which is to say, assuming that computationalism is
>      > true), what would happen if the sequence is broken in the way just
>      > described?
>
>     I suspect something is lost.  You are thinking of the states as
>     abstract steps
>     in a computer program.  But a computer program requires a computer
>     to run and
>     the computer implements distributed spatiotemporal links.  In
>     general you cannot
>     take even a digitial computer and freeze it in a instant of time,
>     call that a
>     state, and restart it without any effects.
>

> I do not see a problem with that... a program can be freezed any time...
> dump the memory to a file

The abstract program, consisting of a set of steps can be stopped at any "time"
(i.e. at a step), but a computer running a program cannot just be stopped.
What
your are contemplating is having the operating system copy the values of
various
registers to a some memory file and then stop.

>, on restart, load the dump file to memory, put
> the instruction pointer at the correct place and you're done. (well in
> practice it is a little more difficult, but you could do it for *any*
> program).

But have you ever cut the power to your computer while it was running? ;-)

Brent