On 16 Jan 2009, at 14:10, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

> 2009/1/16 Brent Meeker <meeke...@dslextreme.com>:
>
>> But both the electronic and the mechanical computer are
>> implementing a process
>> that is distributed in spacetime and has causal connections.
>
> Yes, and my claim is that the causal connections are important only
> because they give rise to the sequence of states.

I agree with you. Now, with the computational supervenience thesis: "
a causal connection" is the same as a "universal machine".
 From third person point of view, one causal connection (one UM) is
enough (and I take the numbers+addition+multiplication) for the ease.
 From a first person point of view the physics emerge from all
possible "causal connection" below my substitution level. Comp
predicts that if I observe myself below the substitution level, I will
find a sheaf of "local connections".

> If the same state
> changes occurred accidentally, I don't see where there is room for the
> resulting consciousness to be any different. For if the consciousness
> were to be different it would be able to send different signals to the
> vocal cords or loudspeaker reporting that difference, but this is
> impossible if the output states are the same as they would have been
> had they been causally linked.

I can be OK, but there is place for ambiguity. We will have to come
back about the movie-graph, to make this clear.

>>> Assuming the gap did not result in accumulation of errors, a
>>> technical
>>> problem, and assuming the environment is held constant to eliminate
>>> 100Hz flicker, I don't see how teleportation every 10ms could alter
>>> consciousness.
>>
>> I could if you lost 10ms of consciousness everytime you were
>> teleported.
>
> How can you be sure that your consciousness was not suspended for the
> past minute, assuming that care was taken to leave the environment
> unchanged during this period?

OK.