Perhaps atheism is necessary as a stepping stone to a more correct
theology? Materialistic atheism is not irrational, being on the side
of reason, but it may be illogical, given the advanced view of reality
we are adopting on this list that challenges the myth of a hard
material substratum.

Nevertheless

I can see a distinct need for this illogicality.

de Bono says that the mind goes from equilibrium to equilibrium which
means we only ever see/perceive what the mind is prepped by belief to
see.

The mind craves stable states - we cope very badly with change we
ourselves are not controlling or desiring

We literally cannot see what we do not already possess some kind of
belief/theory/hypothesis/guess etc. about

that's the magnificent thing about hominid minds - they're able to
"make sense" of anything at all; without this faculty we wouldn't have
gotten this far

But it's also a worry

We find it extremely difficult to switch our perception away from our
favourite, automated patterns of recognition
Anything new will only be judged by the knowledge of the past i.e. the
sequence of arrival of all information converted to knowledge up to
that point. Anything truly new cannot therefore be understood easily.

This is the "mathematical necessity" for Lateral Thinking and other
disruptive mental operations that reboot perception so that previously
hidden realities come into purview.

It's also how humour works, another reason humour is an incredibly
significant part of thinking.

This would mean that atheism would be like a provocative operation
designed to perturb the fake certainty of most religion so that
perhaps a new appreciation based on renewed and broader perception
comes about.

as de Bono says "it can be perfectly logical to be illogical at times."

Kim